[Buildbot-devel] [patch] slashes in step names and html display

Brian Warner warner-buildbot at lothar.com
Tue Jan 24 07:03:49 UTC 2006

> I mentioned this in IRC, but it probably bears repeating here:

Good to know. I didn't see anything in the patch that would obviously break
anything, and I'm sure there are plenty of other URL-troublesome characters
that needed escaping anyway, so it seemed like a net improvement, even if
wacky builder names are still broken.

The deeper problem with running the Waterfall behind a redirect or
reverse-proxy is the occasional absolute URLs. I've got a buildmaster that
lives behind a firewall, which I can only get to through an ssh tunnel. Most
of the links are fine, but some (especially upwards-pointing ones, like from
a single Build's page to its enclosing Builder) are absolute, and thus don't
pick up on the fact that I'm reaching them through some sort of wacky
http://localhost:8010/ link.

The reason for *that* is because I screwed up the overall page structure
(because I don't really understand the web).. I think all the non-leaf pages
should have URLs that end in slashes, so that relative links to child pages
are easy to create. With the current scheme (in which nothing ends in a
slash), it is unnecessarily difficult to create relative child links, and I
am therefore tempted to use getURLForThing() and the absolute link it
provides. This is on the TODO list to fix up later, probably in the Great Web
Page Refactoring that I keep putting off.


More information about the devel mailing list